Sunday, October 4, 2015

"Reconciler" (Mark 10:2-9)

What was I thinking? A scripture about divorce on World Communion Sunday?
I remember when I was a child, one day the neighbors had an argument out on their front lawn. One of the neighbors said to another, “Do you realize how stupid you are?” How do you answer that?
Do you say, “Yes, I know how stupid I am…” or do you say, “No, I don’t know how stupid I am”? It’s a trap!
Many of the questions the Pharisees asked Jesus were like this. They were meant to trap Jesus. They asked Jesus about divorce, because they wanted to trap him.
Jesus responded by asking them a question: “What did Moses say?” Then Jesus said, “Two people become one flesh, so they are no longer two, but one. Therefore, what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
How do we apply this scripture today? Here’s what I think.
First of all, although it is not desirable, and usually messy, there are times when divorce is necessary.
Some years after overhearing the neighbors’ argument, my own parents got a divorce. It wasn’t a happy event, but it was necessary.
Ginger’s parents are right now going through a divorce. It’s not a happy event, but it is necessary.
One day my mom, who had moved out, came by the house to pick me up. She asked me to wait for her outside so she didn’t have to come to the door and see my father.
I understood that the divorce was necessary. But I didn’t like that she and my father couldn’t even face each other.
That was a temporary thing, fortunately. But I still remember it. I still remember feeling myself the pain of their broken relationship.
Jesus knows the pain of broken relationships.
There’s a video that’s been posted on social media, in which a 6 year-old girl says to her divorced mom: “I want you, mom and dad, to be friends, to smile. Are you ready to be friends? We need everyone to be a person, not a monster.”
I don’t know, but I assume her parents had good reasons for divorcing, that probably, the divorce was necessary. But it has to be handled carefully. It’s still painful.
And Jesus knows the pain of broken relationships.
On another occasion, Jesus told a story about a son who took his share of his father’s inheritance and left home. The father, rightfully, should have disowned the son after that, because of the pain and insult.
But when the son returned, the father welcomed him. The father restored that relationship.
Churches divide from one another. Protestants and Catholics, Orthodox, Presbyterians, Methodists, Lutherans, Disciples…
For many years, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) has worked on behalf of the unity of the church.
In the early years, we wanted to end denominationalism completely. Hence, our generic-sounding name. We weren’t a denomination; we were just Christians!
In more recent years, we have come to understand that denominations can work together without giving up their own identities. For example, we have a partnership with the United Church of Christ that runs deep.
We and the United Church of Christ work together on many things. We do mission together. We do winter youth camps together. Ministers often go back and forth between the two denominations.
Right now, North Long Beach Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) has a minister from the United Church of Christ, while Bayshore United Church of Christ has a minister from the Disciples of Christ!
Even though we are two separate denominations, we maintain and build a relationship, a friendship, that strengthens both of our ministries. I think that’s the word Jesus has for us today.
Broken relationships are painful. Restoring wholeness in a world of broken relationships is at the heart of the gospel. We can be persons instead of monsters.

Reconciliation is at the heart of our religion. There are many things that keep us separate: divorce, politics, religion, language, culture… but at Christ’s table, there is kindness; there is hospitality. At Christ’s table, there are no monsters; we are all persons. 

No comments: